Ghana, is a sovereign multinational state and unitary presidential constitutional democracy, located along the Gulf of Guinea and Atlantic Ocean, in the subregion of West Africa. Ghana is the 82nd largest country in the world and 33rd largest country on continental Africa by land mass, and Ghana has a land mass of 238,535 km2, with 2,093 kilometers of international land borders. The country is bordered by the Ivory Coast in the west, Burkina Faso in the north, Togo in the east and the Gulf of Guinea and Atlantic Ocean in the south. The word Ghana means "Warrior King"
DUFP PROJECT is dedicated to enhancing the lives of the children of Accra's Art Center in the heart of Ghana's capital. The Art Center is a large community of shops, workshops and homes. While the collection of talent, creativity and relentless perseverance is abundant and awe-inspiring, the resources are scarce and the living conditions are severely substandard. By teaching children drum-making, drumming and dancing, they learn valuable skills that can provide for them in their futures while they develop a strong sense of cultural pride and heritage. The youth also develop a sense of caring and responsibility for each other along with the confidence that comes from self-expression. Michael Kweku Owusu is the project's founder and director. He grew up in the Art Center and knows first-hand how cultural awareness and skill-building save lives.
YOUR HOST Michael Kweku Owusu and DUFP Team, will host you for your dates and you will experience the cultural heritage of GHANA.
Volunteer program 2018 humanitarian volunteer experience, the following activities will be included:
- Assisting build the DUFP school
- Helping prepare food and serving people who attend school at or visit the DUFP Center
- Volunteering at the Children's Hospital
- Helping out in local orphanages
- Building in the village of Senya Beraku
- Gardening or farming at the DUFP Center
- Helping care for animals at the DUFP Center
- Helping organize recreation for children at the center and children from the village
- Assistance with the Center's administrative work
- Teaching reading, writing (English language), or math
- Making Documentary, film and Live music Recording for the project
- Sponsoring a Computer classes
Those interested in joining us on this exciting tour, contact us: email@example.com or TEL:202-375-9110
DUFP WORKSHOPS IN GHANA
A host of workshops are taught through artists who are part of the Drumming Up From Poverty (DUFP) and are offered year-round. Drumming builds confidence and character, and improves concentration, focus, non-verbal communication, listening skills and team building. Our workshops help develop an awareness and understanding of African culture, arts, music, and dance.
Workshops are available on requested, sculpted to meet the needs of participants from beginners to more experienced levels, and often culminate in a final performance or demonstration.
Examples of our workshops include:
- An introduction to different kinds of African drums and percussive instruments, sounds, and rhythmic patterns from Ghana and other parts of Africa.
- Traditional and contemporary dances from Ghana and other parts of Africa.
- A journey to explore the different stages in making an African drum to completion
- Atenteben Bamboo Flute
- Textile Design/Batiking
- African Jewelry Making
- African Drum Repair
- 10 Days accommodation
- 2 times daily homemade meals for 2 weeks, not including meals during weekend travel
- 20 hours of tuition in your chosen workshop (all materials provided for jewelry making, drum making workshop, you can purchase one of our PRO quality Djembe or kpanlogo with bag for $200.
- All local events and performances
- Professional care and attention
We need your support if you can:
optional 1: $50 can go to fund three children's school uniforms
optional 3: $200 can assist with purchasing supplies to build our well
Total Expense Estimate without Airfare:~$ ( for student price contact us)
Total expanse plus optional fees to help children's school uniforms, and/ or building supplies: $
The price of your holiday does not include VISA and VACCINATIONS.
DEPOSIT: 500$ non-refundable deposit required ASAP to secure place. Full payment is due by the end of December 2017.
Contact us for your Payment information: firstname.lastname@example.org